ccheader.tif

homesmall.tifcrayolasmall.tifcompaniessmall.tifarticlessmall.tif

Clark Indelible Pencil Co.
Northampton, MA
1859 - 1920s

History

 

The Clark Indelible Pencil Co. traces its roots back to Edson P. Clark who was a resident of Northampton, MA.  Mr. Clark opened his company first as Northampton Indelible Pencil Co. and patented his first indelible "pencil" back on May 3, 1859.  He later improved up that with a new patent in 1866 which made it more pencil-like because one of the improvements was to house the mixture in a wood pencil sheath.  His earlier patent was more of a crayon than a pencil; molded into a cylinder.  The indelible pencil was actually made for marking on fabric and was composed of nitrate of silver, glue, lamp-black and even sugar.  The patent and product was also used with damp paper and served as the ball point pen of its time; something you could write a receipt for that couldn't be easily altered.  Over time, Clark branched into true industrial crayons for use with wood, stone, leather and metals. 

 

Known Crayon Boxes

 

Product Name

ID

Box

Colors

Crayons

Box Color

Design

Variation

Years

Rarity

Value

Shipping and Lumber

CIP0001

ST

1

12

Brown

Blue label

For Reliable Marking

1920s

9

$5

 

Photos

 

 

Clark - 12 crayons.jpg

 

CIP0001